89The Henry Doorly Zoo opened in 1984 and received its name in 1963 after Margaret Hitchcock Doorly donated $750,000 to the Zoo, with the condition that the Zoo would be named after her late husband, Henry Doorly. As of today, the zoo has a total of 17,000 animals, it is Nebraska’s #1 attended tourist attraction and it has won two Nickelodeon awards. Interesting huh? As interesting as all this information is, the Zoo has more interesting things that you can do when you visit it. In this blog, I will be talking about five of my favorite attractions they have to offer.
- Skyfari: Warning: if you are scared of heights do not go on to the Skyfari. The Skyfari is one of my favorite things to do around the zoo. It is breathtaking to see the Zoo from up in the sky, and really calming. One-way rides cost $3 per person and roundtrip rides cost $5.50; children 2 and under are free. I am not one to spend money on things around places like this, but this is worth it. I would recommend it to everyone to pay for this because you see the Zoo in a completely different way.
- Sue’s Wildlife Carousel: This attraction is more for parents that have kids. This one is $2 per person. I really liked this ride because it made me feel like a kid again. Yes, I am a 21-year-old college student, but I am a firm believer that we can be of any age and still enjoy a spin on a fun carousel.
3. Train: The train is really fun because, again, it is a different way to adventure through the Zoo. The costs are the same as the Skyfari. The train was constructed by 1968 and, in my opinion, it has been one of the best things in the Zoo ever since. Every time I get into the train the children are really happy, so I recommend this ride to parents.
4. Tram: The tram is not what one would call a “fun” ride, but it is fun to get into it when you have been walking for 5 hours and cannot continue anymore. One-way tickets are .75 per stops, and there are 4 stops, and roundtrip rides are $3 per person. Whenever I go to the Zoo I go there in the morning and leave in the late afternoon, which is why I am really happy when it is 5 p.m. and I see one of these bad boys around.
5. Stingray Beach: Well, to be quite honest about this attraction, I am T E R R I F I E D of stingrays. However, I recommend this attraction to children because it is a fun way to learn about those sometimes cute deadly animals. The attraction costs $4 for non-members, $3.16 for members and $2 for school groups.
The Zoo has more attractions, one of them being Camel Rides, which I cannot wait to go to.
I hope you liked reading about my favorite attractions at the Henry Doorly Zoo. If you want to learn about why I love Aquariums and why you should too, read my next blog!
Open daily 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Building exhibits stay open until 5 p.m. Now through March 14. Closed Christmas Day.
Thank you for reading!
BlogTest No. 1.